GREEN BAY, WI (WTAQ-WLUK) – The Green Bay shelter housing people displaced after last week’s flooding is closing its doors today.
New numbers from the City of Green Bay indicate about 100 homes were affected in some way when the East River flooded. As of Wednesday afternoon, between 50 and 60 homes were still condemned.
At its peak, the temporary shelter at Preble High School accommodated 20 people.
Steve Hansen of the American Red Cross tells FOX 11 it worked out well that the school has been on spring break.
“They’ve been great. We can still use this facility if we need to but fortunately, we’ve found more permanent housing situations for those clients.”
Some people are able to head home, while others have found friends or family to stay with.
For some others, the Salvation Army’s Nan Pahl says they’ve been putting them in a hotel for a few nights.
“So we’re having lots of conversations about this may not be the next four, five nights, this may be longer term than that, so who do you know, who are your friends, who can you contact.”
The 50 to 60 homes condemned in Green Bay are all in a general region along the East River.
“They have been condemned because they are inhabitable,” said Paul Van Calster, the city’s Chief Building Official.
At this point, no homes need to be torn down. The city says two homes need structural analysis because walls have moved.
For the rest, Van Calster says the city needs to see the home has a working furnace, electric panel, and water heater for the condemned label to be removed.
“When they get that done and inspected by us, then they can get back into their house and continue to make repairs and clean and continue doing what they’re doing.”
The city says the next big step for a lot of people will be dealing with the possibility of mold. The city’s inspection department will be distributing tips and information for those affected.


