HOWARD, WI (WTAQ) – Some Howard residents evacuated last Friday due to flooding remain away from their homes.
One of them is Angela Johnson.
She has a laundry list of appliances and equipment that need to be replaced.
“We lost a lot of stuff and it’s been tough, just trying to get back home,” says Johnson. “We’re waiting for a water heater, furnace, washer and dryer, our freezer blew out, just trying not to get stressed and overwhelmed.”
She lives on Valley Lane, which was hit hard by the flooding of Duck Creek.
Ed Janke, the Director of Public Safety in Howard, says the flooding was pretty bad last week, but not unheard of for that area.
“The flooding was probably higher than moderate,” he says. “Every five years we see some type of high water issue on the Valley Lane Corridor.”
Johnson says the flooding started around her home early Friday morning.
“At 10 a.m. I had looked outside and the water was up to our deck,” she explains. “Then about 45 minutes later I looked again and it was pretty close to the back of our house.”
Marissa Steffel and her husband live nearby and are also dealing with the aftermath of flooding.
She says water started to enter her basement early Friday morning.
“This had flooded completely to the ceiling and everything down there is in the dumpster,” says Steffel.
Her family is still away from home and will more than likely have to be for some time.
“Really we are just waiting for the assessor to come out and look at everything,” she explains. “Could’ve been a lot worse damage wise, and we have insurance so hopefully that will cover some of the damages.”
The Steffel family’s GoFundMe page can be found here.
As of now, none of the homes in Howard have been condemned due to flood damage.
But, that can change as more homes are inspected.


