TOWN OF SCHLEY, Wis. (WSAU) -- A Rhinelander man remains in the UW-Madison burn unit after being electrocuted last week in the Town of Schley.
Deputies were called out just after 2pm on Thursday to a report of a tree caught in some electrical wires on State Highway 17. When Town of Russell fire fighters arrived, they found a severely burned 30-year-old man standing near the pole. Ambulances were called and the man was transported to Aspirus Wausau Hospital and then airlifted to Madison.
Investigators think the man stopped to check on the burning tree and was electrocuted by a downed wire at the scene. Deputies also found several open containers of alcohol in the man's vehicle. He may face charges of second offense OWI.
He remains in serious condition at UW-Madison.