GREEN BAY, WI (WTAQ) - For the second year in a row, the Salvation Army of Brown County will hold a Christmas in July fundraising campaign.
The Salvation Army hopes to raise $30,000 to help sustain the vital programs and services that help people in need in their daily struggle for survival. It'll help close the gap in the fundraising shortfall from last year's Christmas campaign.
“We are very excited for this year’s Christmas in July Campaign,” said Major Don Kincaid, Brown County Coordinator for The Salvation Army. “We have a lot of new events this year that provide a great opportunity for us to interact with our community.”
Red kettles will be out starting Friday until July 26 at Festival Foods and Copps stores in the Green Bay area. The only day bell ringing won't take place is Sunday, July 20.
On July 22, Schreiber Foods says it will match up to $3,000 donated to red kettles. The next day, the Green Bay Packers Foundation has promised to match up to $1,000 donated to red kettles. Then, on July 25, Pepsi of NEW plans to match up to $1,000 in donations.
Bell-ringing shifts are available throughout the week. Click here to see available times and sign up.
Several special events have also been announced as part of the campaign:
Chip In Challenge
- At Duck Creek Golf Center, participants make a donation of a certain amount and receive three balls to try to land one in the big red kettle 100 yards away. Prizes based on their level of donation are given to those who land the ball in the kettle.
Stock the Kroc
- Red, white and blue stockings are being sold at the Kroc Center for $1, $2 and $3. The stockings can be personalized and will be hung on the windows overlooking the aquatics center. Proceeds benefit Kroc Center scholarships.
Officer bell ringing
- Salvation Army officers will be ringing bells between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. at Festival Foods in Suamico on July 21.
Happy Joe’s fundraising day
- On July 22, Happy Joe’s says it will donate 10% of that day’s sales to the Christmas in July campaign.
Strike Out Hunger
- Associated Bank plans to donate $100 for every strikeout recorded by a Green Bay Bullfrogs pitcher on July 24. Volunteers will also be at the game, ringing bells and collecting money and non-perishable food donations.
- On July 25 at Copps in Bellevue, local mascots will be ringing bells from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The mascot who brings in the most money will be declared the winner of the friendly competition.
- To kick off the campaign on Friday, Copps employees will be holding a brat fry at each of the three Green Bay-area locations. Then, on July 26, the Salvation Army plans to hold a brat fry at Festival Foods in De Pere.