CHICAGO (WTAQ) - The federal appeals court in Chicago has approved the public release of more documents connected with the John Doe probe into the state's recall elections.
However, it was not known whether any of the documents included those put online for a few hours by mistake last Friday.
Before anything's released, the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago said lawyers for all affected parties must review them to make sure nothing gets out that's supposed to be sealed. That includes documents that would reveal the identities of two undisclosed targets of the John Doe.
The probe was halted in May, pending an appeal from state prosecutors. It looked into allegations that Governor Scott Walker worked with outside groups on a coordinated campaign for Walker and GOP senators in the recall contests in 2011 and '12.
Last week's brief release showed that Walker asked donors to give to the Wisconsin Club for Growth.
The public didn't know until last week that Gogebic Taconite secretly gave $700,000 to the Club for Growth. Walker said he had nothing to do with that.
(Story courtesy of Wheeler News Service)