UNDATED (WSAU) - Thanksgiving is known for more than food and family. It’s also known for fires. Tod Pritchard from Ready Wisconsin says more than 4,000 fires occur every year on Thanksgiving Day. He says the leading cause of fires is unattended cooking.
Pritchard says to keep things like pot holders, oven mitts, and utensils made of wood and plastic away from the cooking surfaces so they can’t catch fire. It’s also a good idea to use timers to keep track of food items with long cooking times.
With the nice weather, it may be tempting to use the grill. Pritchard says you should never use the gas or charcoal grill anywhere close to the house or garage. “If you use any kind of gas grill inside any kind of building, even if you think it's ventilated with the garage door open, you not only have a fire risk but a huge carbon monoxide risk as well.”
If you get minor burns while cooking, Pritchard says to run cold water over the burn. He says the old wives tale of applying butter to a burn is bad first aid. Pritchard says you should save the butter for the dinner rolls.
For additional Thanksgiving safety tips, visit ReadyWisconsin's website and social media connections listed here:
Follow us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/ReadyWisconsin)
and Twitter (www.twitter.com/ReadyWisconsin).