FOND DU LAC, WI (WTAQ) - A duplex fire Saturday leaves Fond du Lac residents out in the cold.
Fire crews get the call to 80 Guindon Blvd. around 1:30 p.m.
Authorities say the blaze was contained to the first floor kitchen and caused extensive smoke and heat damage throughout the home.
The American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the displaced residents.
The Fond du Lac Humane Society also assisted to care for a cat which firefighters rescued that was suffering from smoke inhalation. A second cat perished.
The cause of the fire appears to be from improperly discarded smoking materials.