FORT ATKINSON, Wis (WSAU) Fire-fighters from 10 departments put out a massive blaze in Fort Atkinson yesterday that destroyed a garden center which opened as a feed mill. No one was hurt in the fire at the Blodgett Garden Center.
Several hundred people were evacuated from neighboring businesses, as authorities feared the release of toxic gases from pesticides and fertilizers. Haz-mat teams were among the units responding. Officials said the blaze started at the rear of the center, and the building was fully involved.
Owner Jack Blodgett said contractors were working with propane torches – and one of them caused sparks in straw that was sold at the store. Jack and Ted Blodgett opened the Blodgett Milling Company in 1954 to sell feed and fertilizer – and garden center products were added later.