GREEN BAY, Wis. (WTAQ) - The Green Bay Fire Marshal's office says last Friday's massive fire at 101 South Chestnut Avenue has been determined as accidental in nature.
In a statement Thursday, fire marshal's along with the Department of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, and the Department of Criminal Investigation says the building's electrical system could not be ruled out as a potential cause.
The blaze, which destroyed two businesses on the ground floor and 8 apartments on the second floor, started in a void space that ran the length of the building and was likely burning for hours before anyone discovered it. 16 people were displaced due to the fire.
The building has been ruled a total loss with damages expected to top $1 million. Fire crews protected buildings nearby from fire loss and damage.
Officials say one resident was extremely fortunate to have made it out of the building alive after re-entering to claim personal possessions.